Responsible for supporting an Editor(s) with day to day editorial responsibilities and managing a large team of journalists
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Develop and maintain high professional standards of journalism, ensuring delivery of high quality news programmes
- Determine the content and running order of the programme and lead others on the production of items through to transmission, including assigning, briefing and determining priorities for operational and editorial teams
- Continue the development of the programme across social media and digital platforms, exploring the potential for expanding
- Responsible for building morale/team spirit within permanent or temporary teams; ensuring the best use of individual skills/abilities. Encouraging team members to think about how to do things better
- Sets challenging team and individual objectives and trusts people to get on with them, shares clear expectations about required performance levels, rewards success and addresses performance issues quickly and fairly, treats team members with
- Seek ways to increase diversity in our workforce and to ensure that our output reflects the audiences we serve
- Assist in the development, commissioning and management of relevant business plans and manage individual programme budgets, ensuring value for money in use of resources
- To act as a facilitator of change, clearly communicating and sharing best practices are shared between teams
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards. ∙ Responsible for ensuring safe working practices and the observance of BBC’s health and safety regulations, including completing hazard assessments
Knowledge, skills, training and experience Essential
- Either a professional journalist or a senior operational professional with extensive editorial experience of broadcast news and the ability to develop and implement new and innovative approaches to programme structure and content
- Proven editorial judgement and flair, able to make sound decisions quickly ∙ A detailed understanding of the latest techniques and technology for newsgathering and production. An ability to use new technologies to create opportunities to enhance output and improve working practices
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary.
- Can identify a vision along with the plans which need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues etc. in the short, medium and longer-term
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC
- Able to prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing, programme budgets and resource requirements ∙ Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances
- An understanding of Health & Safety procedures and how it applies to broadcasting
Job impact Decision making High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone. Scope Supports an Editor in managing a programme, region or specialism which typically includes informal managerial responsibilities – may not have formal management responsibility. If formally managing staff, is typically responsible for team size up to 40 people.
JOB DESCRIPTION Appendix There may be sub-sets of the generic job described above which require additional technical skills. This appendix to the generic job description can be developed to cover such situations.Division WS Languages – BBC ArabicReports to (title) Senior News Editor, Arabic Radio Location base Amman, Jordan
The Assistant Editor Journalist will work to Radio Editor leading and supervising a team of Senior Journalist and Journalists in shaping on-the-day and long term content for BBC Arabic both digitally, and on Radio. The successful candidate will work as part of the editorial team responsible for carrying out the main editorial, managerial and administrative tasks, to ensure the multi-media output conforms to BBC Editorial Guidelines. The successful candidate will work closely with Amman Bureau Manager to Manage staff arena, contributors’ payment and all relevant administrative work to BBC standards. To supervise production work ensuring multimedia output conforms to BBC Editorial Guidelines, is lively and interesting and of relevance to the target area. They will work to the Arabic Radio Editor and together act as a point of editorial reference, providing editorial leadership as required. The Assistant Editor will be part of this digital operation and have excellent written and spoken Arabic and English S/he will be expected to work flexibly as required.
Additional job specific responsibilities and accountabilities MAIN DUTIES: Lead and work with the Radio news output and planning teams to produce high quality news, current affairs output and digital content. Oversee current Radio news programmes in Amman and lead in creating new programmes and revamping existing programmes to enrich output and increase engagement with a diverse range of audiences. Oversee current digital radio production and develop relevant digital content for the radio output and the existing radio sites in BBC Arabic.com and the main social media sites Coordinate with Radio Editor and Deputy Managing Editor to organise relevant training for staff in line with Radio strategy with a focus on digital journalism, interactive content and transforming what we do for younger audiences in particular. Coordinate closely with the Radio SJTM to ensure coordinated daily production, coherent output and consistent daily and long term coverage plans.
JOB DESCRIPTION Coordinate with other parts of BBC Arabic to ensure editorial consistency and the effective sharing of information, material and resources. Work with Newsgathering and Planning to ensure the daily and long-term needs of Radio are met. Coordinate closely with the Business Development team to share Arabic Radio content with more partners in the region and beyond. Liaise with other BBC News outlets, including World Service English and Global, to drive the effective two-way flow of information and audio Coordinate with rota schedulers to ensure proper staffing levels are maintained. Represent Radio at BBC Arabic meetings and other BBC meetings when required. Oversee and carry out special projects when requested by the Radio Editor, Multi Media Editor or Head of BBC Arabic. Additional Skills, Knowledge & Experience Significant experience of live Radio broadcast journalism. Proven ability to produce news programmes and broader-agenda programmes in an engaging, creative and innovative manner. Clear understanding of digital journalism, social media and audience news consumption in target markets. Thorough knowledge of Arabic regional and international news and current affairs. Fluency in both written and spoken Arabic (as first or equivalent language) and English, and the ability to communicate effectively. Detailed knowledge of the Middle East media market and the changing needs of BBC audiences
*please refer to the detailed job description indicated in the URL link.
- Job Location
- Amman, Jordan
- Company Industry
- Media Production
- Company Type
- Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role
- Writing and Journalism
- Employment Type
- Monthly Salary Range
- Number of Vacancies